So, those of you who know me well may ask yourselves "Why on earth would Vanessa volunteer to spend her weekend with kids at a camp? She hates kids and camp!"
Well folks, the answer is this - peer pressure. It's hard to say no when your friends tempt you with lines like this "C'mon Vanessa, it'll be a blast! We don't have to do much except for talk to the kids a bit." Of course, being the naive 22 year old I am, I neglected to read between the lines. What they really meant was "C'mon Vanessa! For three days you will alternate between waiting around for things to start, being subjected to schedule changes at random, entertaining 15 year old boys and girls and then waiting around some more. And after all this, you get the luxury of sleeping in a bunk bed in a room with 6 other girls, with a toilet that doesn't work!" Jeepers creepers! That sure does spell F-U-N to me!
Actually, while the description above is not in anyway an exaggeration, I did enjoy myself at many moments during the camp. My kids were pretty cool, and I wasn't really all that responsible for them. In fact, I was just that cooky waygook (foreigner) with whom they could identify if they wanted to. Some did, some didn't. The camp had 150 kids and 37 foreigners. It was a cultural camp, so some of the foreigners were not from Canada. Most of us were...we may have been obnoxious at times, but I blame it solely on large numbers. It had nothing to do with soju, beer or maekso (which is soju AND beer together). Other countries which were represented at the weekend were Romania, Bulgaria, Tanzania, India, Nepal, and Pakistan. On Saturday morning we had a cultural cooking contest. Holy heck that food is good! I particularly enjoyed to niblets from Nepal and Pakistan. Yes, I know, another big surprise from Vanessa...liking different food *GASP*!
I have to give my mom a few minutes to get herself up off the floor as I am sure she just fell over. I love you Mom and I'm sorry I didn't eat your food as a child.
Monday, November 07, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment