Monday, December 05, 2005

le bonhomme de Korean neige

*sigh* today was great. Wanna know why? Because it was Monday and it was a snow day. That's right...school was cancelled due to snow. To add to this lovely occurence, I got the call that it was cancelled on Sunday night. Mmhmm, I slept in.

Not only was today great, but my whole weekend was pretty top notch. On Friday I just hung out at my appartment and decompressed. Pajamas, warm tea and a movie...they make for good times. On Saturday I once again headed to Suncheon to spend some quality time with Carol and Roberta. Instead of the usual, which is accidentally finding ourselves drunk at a party, we opted to stay in and play "triopoloy". This is like monopoly only there are places all over the world and there are three levels. Canada made it on there (Toronto) and it was pretty sweet property to own. THIS girl owned it (or did I pwn it?...one never can tell) and exploited it as much as I could. The biggest capitalist of all was Roberta, however, as she risked most of her money on hotels and made tons of money back because of it. Poor Carol didn't get very far because although she had some property with hotels...they were in the slums (think Baltic Ave, only south of the equator) and so the profits were mediocre at best. We called her "El Slum Lordo"...I think there may have been some sweat shops there too (ooo, I'm bad). At any rate, one could save some money by taking a "Soju discount". If I owed a player $1300, I could pay them $1000 and take one shot of soju. We only started doing this more towards the end when the situation was desperate. And that's how monopoly becomes a drinking game.

I made my lazy way back to Boseong early Sunday afternoon. The air was crisp and clear in Suncheon. I fell asleep on the bus and when I woke up I was nearing Boseong and what did I see? The ground was blanketed in a thin layer of snow...it was glorious. After hearing so many people from home talk about snow, I was really, really missing it. Previously I had been told that Boseong doesn't get snow very often...maybe once per year. WELL, I practically peed my pants when I saw it. Thankfully incontinence hasn't hit me yet.

In a few hours the light dusting had turned into an almost-blizzard. I was safely in my appartment by that point, but unfortunately my furnace chose this point to BREAK. Yep, I had a tiny space heater keeping me unfrozen. I once again have to sing praises to Mr Son who came over post-haste in a snow storm to take a look. He went out, convinced a friend of his (father of one of my best students, Koh You Jin) to come and fix it...no other people would go out in the weather. A few hours later I had heat again and then was informed hat there was no school the next day. Oh mercy...I've got it good here.

Let me say something about snow in this part of Korea...people don't expect it, so people aren't ready for it. No snow plows, no salt, and no shovels. There were people "shoveling" snow with stiff pieces of cardboard and/or plastic scoopy things. No wonder school was closed.

At any rate, I woke up nice and late, lazed around for a while and then decided to go out an play in the snow, since it may not come again for a while. I made a snowman. That's right, I'm 22 and I went out and played in the snow and made a snowman. I can't tell you how much a bit of snow has made me feel...alive. It's like Canada was missing me so it decided to drop by and give me a present.

Thanks Canada...I miss you too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lovely snowman. I especially like the hairdo.

Is "Anyung" (can't spell it at all) really Korean for "hello"? Woot! Random

Oh, and if you really want to express pwnage, you might try "wtfpwn" next time. It's even more eXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXtreme.

Vanessa said...

yep, you're absolutely right. It's the informal way of saying hello. Mostly you say "annyeong haseyo". It's more polite.