Thursday, March 08, 2007

tunes rule my life

It's amazing what a good tune in your ear can do for one's morale and attention span. Allow me to explain. School started a week ago and I haven't started teaching classes yet. This is no surprise to me as I won't start until the schedule is confirmed. So, coming in on Monday, I knew I had a week of desk-sitting ahead of me. no problem, this would give me time to lesson plan my brains out. Unfortunately, as each day wore on, my attention span would shrink to that of a goldfish, and not even a good book or a YouTube video could keep me focussed for more than a few mintues. As you can imagine, the hours crawled by.

TODAY, however, my fortunes have improved because I finally got wise and brought my iPod to school. With the aide of music to keep my mind aflame, I have managed to do more today than the previous 4 days of school combined. w00t!

As a result of my days of inactivity (both intellectual and physical), my evenings have been disproportionately eventful. Eventful borderline annoying. Monday night was volleyball, and awesome, so no complaints there. I'm getting better at spiking - I'm at about 50% success rate, minus the volleyball net. Once that net is thrown into the equation, my percentage will go way down :P.

Tuesday was bitterly cold (for Korea). Well below zero, which is annoying considering the two previous weeks were 10+ degrees. According to a Korean saying, "Winter is jealous of Spring." According to Vanessa, "March is fucked up, screw you, Weather." Right, Tuesday night. I met my two Korean friends for some free English instruction (I'm nice, I know). After that I went to get some much-needed groceries. At the store I noticed that Champ, my faithful motorbike, had a flat tire. I was unable to drive him home, so I left him at the store and walked home. Twenty-five minutes later I was home and cursing like a sailor because I had left my keys in the ignition. Luckily I had left my window unlocked and was able to "Mission Impossible" through it. I called Mr Son and he arranged for the mechanic to pick it up in the morning. My keys would be safe until then.

In a bizarre twist, when I picked up my bike today, the keys were there, but someone had taken my big yellow helmet. Who takes a helmet, but not the bike? (she asked, relieved but thoroughly confused). I posed this question to Carol, who glibly pointed out that my motorbike has, among other things, stitches in the metal. She may have been implying that my helmet was more worth stealing than the bike...huh.

Wednesday night was also a little weird. I went out to dinner with co-workers and the principal, once again, gave me my fair share of soju. I was tipsy upon returning home and decided that going to volleyball drunk would not be in my best interest. This was a good thing, because around 7:30 I noticed that my thermostat was blinking...I had run complete out of oil for my boiler and it was sucking in air. The floor was still warm, so my pipes hadn't frozen yet, thank goodness. Once again, I called Mr Son to come to my aide and he got the oil dude over poste-haste.

I bought him lunch today.

1 comment:

Ms Parker said...

Sorry to hear about your helmet!

My hot mechanic is good about giving free helmets to pretty foreigners - come to Suncheon and we'll set you up all right.

Wanna do a road trip in March? Have to deliver the Red Devil to Mokpo.

xoxo

Virginia