Saturday, June 23, 2007

A must-read for the Ladies

WARNING (for the DUDES): In this entry, I'm going to be talking about things like PERIODS, TAMPONS and PADS. My advice is to skip it altogether. You can try reading it, but if you throw up in your mouth a little, you can't blame me, because you had fair warning. onwards...

Ok ladies, this entry is dedicated to the promotion of a little something called The DIVA Cup. If you know what it is and are current;y enjoying it's role in your life, then CUDOS! If you know what it is, but aren't using it: What are you waiting for?!? And finally, for you clueless folk, here's word:

The DIVA Cup is an amazing alternative to pads and tampons. We all know the disadvantages to using pads - they basically feel like diapers and you're constantly aware of the fact that you're leaking through your vagina. Not a pretty or sexy feeling, eh? As for tampons, which admittedly are more convenient than pads, have their own set of problems. The most obvious one is the fact that you're shoving bleached, packed cotton up your hoo-hoo. Your body absorbs some of that bleach which, evidently, is not a health benefit. (No, Asian ladies, it's doesn't help to bleach your skin. and it won't steal your virginity either.)

And now I shall sing the praises of The DIVA Cup.
It's a silicone cup that you insert into your va-jay-jay. Over the course of up to 10 hours (12 if you want push it), it collects the blood, then you take it out, empty it, wash it, and put it back in.
  • It's completely fine for your body, as it is made from soft medical grade silicone.
  • In certain cases it can ease cramps.
  • It's good for the enviroment because there's no icky, bloody waste of the wad of cotton variety. (sidenote: an OBSCENE amount of waste is create every year due to used pads and tampons.)
  • It's good for the pocktebook as you undoubtedly pay about $30/month on pads and/or tampons, whereas you spend about $40 on one DIVA Cup which will last for about 2 years.
  • People with heavy flows can use it (just empty it more often).
Admittedly, there is an icky factor. If you use the DIVA Cup you have to be very comfortable fishing around in your nether regions. But let's be honest here. You're a woman and you SHOULD be comfortable with your body. Trust me, it's worth it!

Success story!
When I went on vacation last winter i was expecting to get my period while in Cambodia. From what I'd read, it's not the best place to be on the rag. To Cambodia's defence, however, the public washrooms there were comparable to those Korea and well beyond those of Beijing. Anyway, Those 5-6 days of periods were barely a blip on the radar. I was able to go out, tour around and not even think about it. Had I been wearing tampons, I would've had to worry about leakage and changing the tampon every few hours. It was truly liberating. (not that your period is something you need liberation from...it's the tampons you need liberation from :D)

In closing, I hope this blog has inspired some, if not all, of my female (younger than menopause) readers to at least look into getting a DIVA Cup.

here's a website for further reading!
www.divacup.com

5 comments:

Jen @ Light Enough to Travel said...

Yay for the Diva Cup. I love mine.

Melanie said...

"Fishing around" nice. Yes, the Diva is the way to go..but can take some getting used to it for some gals.

Anonymous said...

my life has changed!! That you Dr Ness!

Goulash said...

Enough of the women stuff already. When are ya gonna write about the music party... or the strange happenings at school... or the weather....

ANYTHING!!!

(actually your blog was enlightening and I second Mr Noah. Thanks Dr Ness!)

:P

Anonymous said...

I'd like to know if there's a way to buy them from South Korea. Can anyone help?