Wednesday, October 17, 2007

gettin' flexy

Vanessa's new adventures in Yoga!

Today was my first day ever doing yoga..w00t! After a recent back (re)injury and the following 2 weeks of inactivity I realised a)I need to get back into it and b) I need to find something a little different from the Health Club. I'm a social animal, so a class is a bit more motivational for me. [And I already met a university student named Ji Song - her English is groovy!] Also I've come to admit to myself that my personal stretching habits are severely lacking, which was one of the major factors in the back f'ing up. Finally, the Yoga place ridiculously close to me, thus appealing to my lazy side.

When faced with a Korean stranger situation, I always need to psych myself up for the experience. It could go really well, or it could bomb completely. One thing is for sure...I have to assume that whoever I meet cannot speak English. Luckily for me, this time around my limited Korean and a whole lotta body language was good enough. I sat in on the Yoga class, awkwardly bending this way and that. My extreme lack of flexibility became painful apparent within about 5 minutes.

During the hour, there was a little bit of "Koreanness" (ie, fast, hard movements, usually unassociated with Yoga), but on the whole, it was what I was hoping for. I didn't break a sweat, which is unusual for me, as I'm generally a sweaty beast, but I still worked hard and felt it on my muscles.

I'm excited about my new adventure and hopefully after a month, I'll be able to put my legs behind my head and do the pretzel!

No comments: