Tuesday, November 27, 2007

step out of your comfort zone

and chances are, you'll end up in Weirdsville. But a good kinda weird. The kinda weird worth blogging about.

NOTE: this blog was meant to have been published on thursday November 22nd. Due to technical difficulties, it has been held in limbo until today. Huzzah!

A few weeks ago, I was asked to give a couple of lectures to a group of migrant women. Women from southeast asia (mostly the Philippines, but also Vietnam, Thailand, etc) come to Korea to marry Korean men. It's a crappy life, but apparently better than their lives in their home countries. Anyway, a section of the provincial government (Women's Welfare Bureau WWB) is dedicated to improving their quality of living and integrating them into Korean society. Many of these Women can speak English better than the average Korean, so it would follow that they be trained to teach English in countryside elementary schools for a little extra cash. The WWB is putting on a 2 month long workshop where every Tuesday and Thursday the women can attend a morning lecture. I was asked to be the opening act!

I was asked to teach about games, chants and songs as they may apply to the elementary classroom. I was a bit worried because although I'm a music major, really, my knowledge of classical forms and clarinet are in no way helpful in teaching little kids English. "Hey kids, today we're going to study Sonata form...Introduction, development, Recapitulation. Repeat after me RE-CAP-IT-U-LA-TION." Right. Anyhow, I scoured the internet and found a gold mine of information. My show was beginning to take form.

The first day of the workshop was interesting. After a harrowing journey to the location (harrowing meaning I walked around aimlessly with a growing sense of panic), I finally found the place and proceeded to set up. There were about 20 shining faces (distinctly NOT Korean) waiting attentively.

Immediately they started in with questions and from then on I knew the experience would be a blast. These ladies were feisty, and I like feisty students. They were open to do anything in class, including a rousing round of the Hokey Pokey. The two days that I was there made me feel refreshed as an educator and, of course, made me wish I could keep teaching them.

Anyway, I happened to meet and chat with on woman from Thailand. she has been in Korea for 1 year and lives in Gokseong, a county small than my former home, Boseong. *yeesh* Anyway, I told her of my love for Thai food and her eyes brightened as she told me that she hadn't cooked Thai food once since being in Korea and she really missed it. Ah, a match made in heaven.

I really thought nothing of it. I honestly assumed I would never see her again. Two days later there was an email in my inbox from Bomb (that's her name...awesome) inviting me for lunch anytime. Usually I would just let something like that go. I barely know the woman, she lives in the country side, my weekends are busy blah blah blah. This time, however, I stepped outside of my normal routine and took a chance. Last Saturday I hopped on a bus for Gokseong and the adventure that followed was unexpected and very, very welcome.

I arrived at 11am to Bomb's smiling face. She is a petite woman (almost a head shorter than me) with sparkling eyes. She said we have to wait for the taxi to come. You see, she doesn't live in the town centre, she actually lives in a tiny village about 10 minutes away. She uses one particular taxi driver because he knows a speck of English and is very kind. The taxi driver arrived and off we went. He picked up another old woman who wanted to go to Gurye a county to the south. So there's me and Bomb in the back being taking on a countryside tour of Gokseong for free. We laughed and chatted the whole way in Korean and in English. The driver was hilarious. About 15 minutes into the ride he changes CDs. what came blaring out of the speakers? 80s retro pop. Oh mercy. A White lady, A Thai woman and a Korean Taxi Driver all jamming to 80s retro pop songs. RANDOM!

We got to Bomb's house about an hour later where she had already prepared a FEAST of Thai food. She's lives with her Korean mother-in-law who is, at my best guess, almost 80. Most Korean old people are standoffish when they see me, but she stepped off the porch and opened her little arms wide to me. It was a great feeling.

Ah lunch! Naturally, our taxi driver had to join us for lunch as there was enough food for about twelve people. It was heavenly. There were even mangoes sent straight from Thailand.

As I was leaving Gokseong, I thought my random afternoon was complete BUT as I was getting on the bus, Mr Son called me! Yep, I hadn't seen him since Chuseok (October), so it was quite a surprise. In turned out that he was on a trip and would be stopping in Gwangju bus terminal at about the same time my bus would be arriving from gokseong. Coincidence? You betcha! And a good one at that!

------------------------------------
Once again, today is my mom's birthday. This is the 3rd one I've missed (by being in a different country) and I promise - I will be there next year. We'll party. I'll bring some soju.

Happy Birthday Mama!

No comments: