Saturday, February 02, 2008

I don't want no salsa with my nachos!

(or: My gastrointestinal journey through Bali)

As my friends in Korea may have already guessed, this is not an entry about the delicious mexican side dish, but rather a witty (i hope) cross-lingual (is that even a word?!) play on words.

Basically, the English word "salsa" sounds virtually the same is the Korean word for diarrhea - "seolsa". And I gots the salsa, thanks Bali.

Apparently it's a rather common affliction for travellers to Indonesia, but I can't help wishing that my bowels were a bit more up for the challenge. The Lonely Planet guide (god bless it!) defines traveller's diarrhea as "3 or more loose bowel actions in 24 hours". The higher end of that spectrum would be, i suppose, "nearly constant arse piss". (a lovely phrase I stole from an east-coaster friend of mine). Thankfully, my affliction is more on the low end. But still, it was obvious that I have some very unwanted guests dorming in my gastrointestinal area, and it was time to give them the boot.

Unfortunately, this all happened to me whilst we were on the islands, where I'm sure I could've found medical relief, but decided to wait until we got back to civilisation (ie Bali, mainland). So, yesterday afternoon we arrived and promptly found a clinic. The nurse and doctor there were less than shocked at my state as they said they get at least one person in everyday complaining of the same symptoms. Twenty minutes and $80 later (yikes!!), I had an arsenal of antibiotics and anti-diarrheals that will hopefully set my constitution straight.

Have no fear! Despite my complaints, I really haven't denied myself any of the culinary delights available here, I just make sure I'm within dashing range of a washroom! :P

No comments: