Thursday, April 13, 2006

all roads lead to Rome, except in Korea, where all roads lead to rage

So, as both a driver and a pedestrian in Korea I'm apalled at EVERYONE'S blatant disregard for EVERYONE ELSE who may be on the road and/or side walk. The thing about it is that (especially in small towns) there isn't much of a distinction between road and side walk. Cars park on the sidewalk and people walk on the road. And both parties do it rather poorly.

I equate riding my motor bike to being in one of those ridiculous racing video games where you, the driver, must narrowly avoid any and all manner of obstacles. Picture this: I'm cruising down the street, going no more than 40km/h when I have to swerve to narrowly avoid a car which is pulling out in front of me at a snail's pace. It's quite obvious that the driver didn't even bother to check if anyone was approaching - the philosophy is to go for it and hope for the best. Anyway, as I'm swerving to miss this car (and laying on the horn, which I'm quite good at now) a small child wanders aimlessly into the street from the other side, clearly unaware that large machines go by relatively quickly. So, I've just had two consecutive heart attacks and have made it through unscathed, the only side effect being extreme rage. The thing that makes this situation even more infuriating is that A) the slow moving car inevitably has a backseat full of children who are not seatbelted and are standing up to boot; and B) a parent of the street-wandering child is watching with a detached, glazed-over look, having no idea that their child nearly caused a severe traffic accident.

I don't understand why there is even a pretense of having traffic laws here, it's obviously a façade. To make matters even more rageful, the Boseong government has decided to randomly take out strips of road (probably laying useful pipe), but apparently their engineers/construction workers were destined for some OTHER line of work because the quality of the work done in putting the road back together again is such that it is dangerous for drivers AND pedestrians to attempt driving/walking over it.

I have effectively re-learned how to drive here, where now the most useful tool on my bike is my horn and if I had a car, the four-way flashers would come in second to the horn. There is no such thing as signaling a turn or "defense driving" - it's all offense baby...or offensive.

Thankfully when the rage gets too much for me and I happen to utter an obscenity at a more-than-audible level, no one can understand what I'm saying.

1 comment:

Brett said...

it's lucky for you that rage transends the language barrier. I think you need a little harley, with a side car. Now that would be sweet.