Friday, October 27, 2006

the good kinda busy

we-he-he-hellooooo there!

my goodness a lot has been happening around here in Korealand. Let me expand upon a few of the more tasty morsels...

Volleyball
the new love of my life. About 3 weeks ago I started going to the local volleyball club. It all started when Noel told me about it and said how fun it was. I went with him one day and the rest is history. Being foreign is a good excuse for sucking at something :D. Oh those Canadians! All they can do is play hockey!! (If only they knew). I had to explain that I would often try to kick the ball because I was a soccer player in my home country. I'm tellin' ya, it's a tough habit to break.

Anyway, most of the members are middle aged men and women, but there are a few people in their twenties, particularly a guy name Chong Hyeong and a girl named Yeong Min. Yeong Min is awesome. She's the best English speaker out of the bunch and a good friend now. I've been out drinking a few times with them and it's always a hoot. Last time we went to the no rae bang after getting sufficiently schliquored up. Naturally, the finale song was "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine. Hells yes!

Mary Katherine's Birthday
Last weekend me and my partners in crime (Carol and Mel) headed to Mokpo to celebrate the birthday of one of the coolest peeps I know, Mary Katherine. She's the tall blond girl from the Beijing pics. Friday night was full of hilarity as we hung out at her appartment for a "girlz night". Oh mercy, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. It was here that I discovered that the other Vanessa (there's actually 3 Vanessa'a that I know of in the province) has similarly hilarious initials to my own. As most of you know, my initials are VCR. Well, hers are VHS. BAAHAHAHAHAHA! This prompted the witty comment from her : "I go in you!!" You do indeed, Vanessa, you do indeed.

Saturday afternoon heralded a wave of change among us girls. We all decided to go into town and change our looks. Carol and I both got our hair chopped off (yes, my hair is short again, but not "buzz cut" short circa 3rd year university.), Mel got her's temporarily straightened and Mary K got hers curled. We looked hot, I'm not gonna lie.

At night was the big birthday bash where a large contingency of foreigners hit the town for some eating and imbibing of spirits. Interestingly enough, we got kicked out of a Korean bar called "Plastic" for no apparent reason. Seriously, I'm not denying responsibility, we were in no way being "obnoxious foreigners". We walked in, sat down ordered drinks and got kicked out. We decided to voice or disapproval to the tune of Happy Birthday Mary, at the top of our lungs outside the restaurant. Take THAT!! The rest of the night was amusing and fun.

Teaching Demo'd!!
Before going to Mokpo last weekend all the foreign teachers in my program gathered for the annual meeting. This year the focus was on teaching demos and sharing lesson plans. Yours truly agreed to do a full 45 minute teaching demonstration in front of her peers. It was, needless to say, slightly nerve wracking, but I completely forgot about the audience after about 5 minutes and just carried on. Truth be told, it was actually fun and my friends tell me that I did a good job. w00t!

Coming soon
This weekend is the big annual Halloween party in Yeosu so prepare yourselves for some awesome pics and hopefully some funny stories!

Pot Pourri
Today I spent my spare time making jack-o-lanterns with my co-teacher. Life is good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice colours!