Monday, October 30, 2006

there were ballz flying at my face!

no, I'm not describing my Saturday night at the Halloween party, you sickos - I'm talking about volleyball practice and the aforementioned BALLZ were volleyBALLZ. geez

so yeah, I had volleyball tonight and it was great. To clarify, I'm NOT great at volleyball, in fact, tonight was not one of my most shiningest performances. But, as long as I can still laugh and have fun while sucking, then I'm in! To be honest, tonight I worked the hardest I have yet, I think and I have the bruises and swollen thumbs to prove it. A couple of the men decided to challenge me and Yeong Min, the other young girl, so they just started spiking balls at us really hard. Yeong Min bowed out (understandably), while I loved it. (this is probably the most inadvertently sexual thing I've ever written on the blog. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to...but it's kinda funny...) It was reminiscent of the good ol days of playing goalie have having BALLZ repeatedly kicked at my face. *sigh* They couldn't believe that I actually liked it. I guess the harder they push me the more I enjoy the practicing.

Now, about the weekend. Let's start at the beginning...

On Friday, my friend Riann took me to see the Gwangju symphony. Riann is like my big brother in Korea. He's from BC and is super helpful, energetic and kind. He got the tickets from a friend and thought of me because he knows I studied classical music in University. Anyway, he picked me up at 5:30 and we headed to Gwangju for the 7:30 concert. Now, by car, Gwangju is only 1 hour from Boseong however, we forgot to take into account the Friday afternoon traffic rush where all the teachers who work in the countryside are trying to get back to their families. We finally rolled into the music hall at 8pm and missed the first half of the concert. You know what, not a problem because after looking at the program, I realised that the second half (which is usually the "headliner" of the concert) was indeed Symphonie Fantastique by Hector Berlioz. This piece happens to be one of my most favourite symphonies; I know it backwards and forwards. I was giddy with excitement. The performance was quite good and it made me realise how much I miss my life as a 24/7 musician. I miss playing clarinet next to Christine in orchestra, I miss the sound of instruments tuning. I miss walking down the hallways of the music building and hearing everything from blaring trumpet, to wicked fast piano licks, to screeching sopranos to the interminable plinking of the piano techies tuning away. As much as I've neglected my clarinet lately, the moment I heard the 2 clarinets plaing in harmony at the symphony, my heart sang and I longed for the old days. but enough of the nostalgia...moving on

Saturday, ah Saturday. I spent much of the morning constructing the contraption that would be the key ingredient to my costume. I went as a wind-up doll, so naturally, I need a wind-er to go on my back. Through improvisation and ingeniuty, I managed to not only make a cool wind-er, but it was also fully functional - one could indeed wind me up. I guess you could say I got pretty wound up on Saturday night. (ooooo, terrible). here's what it looked like:

I also brought along my good friend Yu Kyoung. It was her first Halloween ever, and she quite a good job at thinking of a costume. Isn't she the most adorable ever?! (princess Fiona, y'all!)

Anyway, the party was awesome. The costumes were awesome. And there isn't much more to say about it. We arrived in the city of Yeosu around 6pm and met the usual gang at the motel. Let's see...there was myself, Noel, Yu Kyoung, Carol, Mel, Mary Katherine, and Crystal at first. Then lots of other people came. There was pizza and spirits and a whole lotta make-up and sparkles happening.

As always, if you wanna see more pics, click on the link below:
SUPERMEGAWESOME HALLOWEEN PICTURES

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i had "Balls" written on my face on Halloween.

Vanessa said...

the only costume I can imagine which would require the words "balls" on your face is Zach Braff's character from Garden State...was that it?

Anonymous said...

Dude......wind up. Classic! I went to a trailer trash themed party.....so I did the only thing I could do.....Handlebars!. You would have lurved it. MIssing you!