Anyway, I left school around noon to meet Noel and a new Korean English teacher (Monica) for lunch. We met at a place that I frequent because the food is delicious, cheap, and better than most fast food. I arrived a little early, so I sat and waited for the other to show up. At the time, there were no other customers in the store, only about 5 employees with nothing to do. Naturally, they were curious why the Waygook was sitting alone, not eating. To give em a hint, I went and got three glasses of water to indicate I would not be alone for long. Still, they asked me something in Korean, which I couldn't catch and finally I said "chingu" (friend) and pointed to the seats across from me. This shed some light on the situation and they settled down. While I was looking out the wondow for Noel, I glanced over at two women and they were chatting and looking my way. (This is a big signal that someone is talking about you:P).
Then, the younger of the two women walked over to me, and without hestiation, leaned in really close and touched my nose. That's right she fully took the tip of my nose between her thumb and fore finger and wiggled it around a little, making a noise to indicate both surprise and happiness in her discovery. Now, I'm aware that my nose is somewhat special in Boseong. My students tell me all the time that it's very "Tall". Whatever. But thus far, in 18 months, no one had ever touched it!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not angry, just amused. If it had happened in the city, maybe I would'v ebeen more put off, but I go to this restaurant at least once a week and the peeps are nice there. I think she only did it because I was alone, so it lower our mutual embarassment levels. While she was pinching the tip of my nose, I couldn't help but giggle. I mean, come on!! How often can someone say that's happened to them. Thanks lady, for another good story!
________________________________________________________
I was given a single rose yesterday. It made me smile and continues to make me smile as it sits on my table.
________________________________________________________
And now for the main feature: Mel's Birthday Party. Here's a preamble to indicate how the night would go. This poem was the jist of the party invitation:
Shamrocks are green
Moustaches are dirty
come join the fun
cuz Mel's turnin' 30
Moustaches are dirty
come join the fun
cuz Mel's turnin' 30
Mel's 30th was on March 14th and we celebrated with class on Friday, the 16th. Due to the proximity to St Patty's Day (and the fact that her fave colour is green), we thought people should wear some green. Also, in true weird form, we decided that people should also wear moustaches. The idea came from a few different places:
1) In the back of my mind, I remember some people in uni having a moustache party to call an end to dis-O-week (the first week of the 2nd semster, the antithesis of O-week).
2) After a fun party in Mokpo, many moths ago, Carol took off her fake eyelashes and proceeded to re-stick them to her face in various ways that caused fits of laughter, and possibl, incontinence.
3) While in Thailand, I happened upon real fake moustaches and was inspired to have a party where moustaches were necessary. The first party we had after vacation happened to be Mel's bday party, and she was up for it!!
Anyway, here's a link to close up pics of all the fab moustaches. There was an overwhelming amount of full beards, but alas, not on the ladies.
Moustaches Galore!!
The only way I could pull off these beauties was to smirk in the chotchiest way possible. Did I do a good job? I'd say so. I had some of the ladies sweating, and one particular dude very put off :P
One of the best parts of the evening, was just watching everyone (esp the people with fakies on) have normal conversations with the most ridiculous moustaches. The best real moustache, by far, was Stu's. He was so into that he shaved his goatee that he had had for the past year, and cut a magnificent molestache. Cudos to you, Stubie!!
I suppose most importantly, Mel had a great time at her b-day and really cleaned up at the gift table! Big BIG thanks to Carol for hosting said shindig. She is possibly one of the best, most gracious party hosts around! w00t!
1) In the back of my mind, I remember some people in uni having a moustache party to call an end to dis-O-week (the first week of the 2nd semster, the antithesis of O-week).
2) After a fun party in Mokpo, many moths ago, Carol took off her fake eyelashes and proceeded to re-stick them to her face in various ways that caused fits of laughter, and possibl, incontinence.
3) While in Thailand, I happened upon real fake moustaches and was inspired to have a party where moustaches were necessary. The first party we had after vacation happened to be Mel's bday party, and she was up for it!!
Anyway, here's a link to close up pics of all the fab moustaches. There was an overwhelming amount of full beards, but alas, not on the ladies.
Moustaches Galore!!
The only way I could pull off these beauties was to smirk in the chotchiest way possible. Did I do a good job? I'd say so. I had some of the ladies sweating, and one particular dude very put off :P
One of the best parts of the evening, was just watching everyone (esp the people with fakies on) have normal conversations with the most ridiculous moustaches. The best real moustache, by far, was Stu's. He was so into that he shaved his goatee that he had had for the past year, and cut a magnificent molestache. Cudos to you, Stubie!!
I suppose most importantly, Mel had a great time at her b-day and really cleaned up at the gift table! Big BIG thanks to Carol for hosting said shindig. She is possibly one of the best, most gracious party hosts around! w00t!

2 comments:
Ooooooooh Yeah.... The SMIRK!
Smorking is HOT.
xoxo
Virginia
(Easy Rider???)
I'm surprised the woman did not also take hold of your amazing chin and give it a feel.
Post a Comment