In Korea, there is no Mother's Day or Father's Day, simply...Parents' Day. Since I'm in Korea, I thought I'd follow along with this lovely holiday. This blog is dedicated to my wonderful parents.
Dave and Diane Reid... I don't think they know it, bu tI brag about them a lot. They both cook, their relationship is equal, I get most of my good traits (and some bad ones^^) from them. I am who I am because of my parents, and I'm always very thankful to them.
I think I've been a relatively good kid over the years. One of the things I remember being scolded for the most as a child was my tendency towards speaking without thinking. Sure, this has gotten me in trouble on occasion in my adult life, but mostly I've been able to successfully hold back my thoughts in time to censor them and deem them socially appropriate. Thanks for the constant scolding, parents!
Another thing I would apparently do as a child was snoop through anyone's drawers and cupboards whenever we visited company. Embarrassing for my parents, "cute" for me...heh heh heh.
Naturally, I had to throw my parents for a loop now and again, just to keep them on their toes, but no matter what I said I wanted, they supported me and helped me on my way. They put me through...
swimming lessons (at which I was a dismal failure compared to my half-fish sister)
Dance Classes
Soccer
Guitar lessons
clarinet lessons
Thanks to them and their willingness to accept my current interests, I had a very full childhood of extracurriculars.
I think at the end of high school came the biggest shock. After studying science heavily for 4 years and doing very well, after expressing on many occasions my intention to study biology or medicine, I up and did a 180, deciding to study, of all things, music. Here's how I think the conversation went...
Me: "Hi parents, I have some news for you."
Parents: "Sure honey, what is it?"
Me: "Well, I've given it some thought, and I think I want to try and get into university to study music and the clarinet."
Parents projected internal dialogue: WTF?!? Music? you can't feed a family with a degree in MUSIC!! We were gonna have a DOCTOR! oh man, she's throwing it all away! what a waste. I bet it's that music teacher of hers!! what should we say? what can we say! oh mercy! hgurkesuhrglfwiuerhgt GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!
Parents: Well, honey, that's interesting. We're sure you'll do well. As long as you're sure this is what you want, we'll support your decision.
They took it pretty well. Then I did it again at the end of university when I told them I didn't want to go to teacher's college, instead I wanted to live halfway around the world and teach english.
I guess my point is that I'm a super lucky girl to have that kind of love (sometimes tough love, eh?) and support throughout my whole life.
Mom, Dad...I LOVE YOU!!!
Tuesday, May 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment