Wednesday, August 29, 2007

musings after 2 days of teaching

**contrary to popular opinion, boy students do not give two shits about having a female teacher. The number of times I've been called beautiful in a day has fallen from about 20 all the way to 0. On the plus side, none of the students have called me ugly

**the "boys will be boys" way of dealing with their behaviour is more of a survival technique. Today I taught grade 1s (7). My co-teacher was not all over them about shutting up - she was just strict enough to make me at least audible to those who were listening. I realise that I'm going to have to adopt this attitude or lose my voice and go insane. So, ok boys, you can talk a little, but your leash is short, so don't test me.

** I have three female co-teachers and have taught with 2 of them. So far they = awesome!

I suppose i need to reserve my judgement until i've had a chance to settle in. I was, thankfully, far more nervous than I needed to be and I think my time here will be fine as long as I keep in mind that when girls don't care, they are quiet, but when boys don't care they talk and hit each other. That's the way it goes, and I'm cool with that.

1 comment:

Goulash said...

I've been here for about 5 months now and I've found nothing to counter what you've worked out in two days.

Most of the boys don't give a shit about english & will basically talk, punch, kick and be generally distracting through a class unless you keep them on a short leash.