why can't you just throw some food on a freakin' fire for a change?! I have now been out to two staff dinners with my new school and I'm batting 0.5/2. I'm not a completely failure because they did end up cooking some stuff by the end of last night's meal. The first dinner, a fairwell to the old principal, was and enormous smorgasborad of raw fish. This I've dealt with before and feel comfortable refusing HOWEVER, now that I'm a new place, I gotta put on a bit of a show. So, I ate something akin to a raw oyster and had that familiar gagging sensation as it was much, crunier and rubberier than I had expected. Blech. Anyway, I was pretty lucky as they brought out a chicken for my table (apparently some other folks don't like raw fish either).
Last night, a welcome dinner for the new principal, I was told we were having beef for dinner. w00t! or so I thought. Turns out the first two courses were raw beef. (Sidenote, when I got home, I caught part of Oprah on TV and it happened to be Dr Oz saying that raw meat is the main way to get tapeworms...awesome) First was a familiar site of a platter ladden with cow stomach (thin grey bumpy strips) and raw liver (very dark red shiny cubes) as well as some raw meat. I've got teachers on all sides telling me to eat and to try it, blah blah. HELLO!!! I've been in Korea for 2 years, i've tried most of this stuff and if you don't want vomit on you and the food, I suggest you leave me alone!
The second course was a platter laiden with small strips of beef, also raw. I gave into peer pressure and tried one. The taste was ok, but the texture was just so weird that that piece was my first and last. If I had chewed it any longer, the fact that it was raw would've infiltrated my brain overriding my senses and telling me to spit it out. in someone's face.
*sigh* salvation came with the 3rd course when they started cooking the meat. It was smooth sailing from then one for two reasons: a) I could eat something and b) people started being liberal with the soju. Alcohol certainly is a social lubricant.
Despite my bitching and moaning on here, I actually had a real good time. Teacher dinners have never been my favourite events (mostly because I have to deal people who don't understand why I don't eat some stuff), but last night was fun...once there was fire involved ^^
Wednesday, September 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment