man, I thought my situation was complicated...
being in a second language based relationship has its good points and bad points. Obviously, on the downside, there is lots of room for miscommunication. On the bright side, however, there is not much bullshitting or beating around the bush that happens because you can't, it complicates things even more. For me, I get to talk in my own language, so it's much harder for my man. But we do it, and it's working splendidly.
This is what I saw the other day that makes my situation seem like a breeze...
I was strolling through the Boseong Green Tea plantation with my Wednesday morning workshop teachers (field trip!!^^), when one of the teachers took notice of the group slightly in front of us. There was a foreign guy and his korean girlfriend, as well as both of their mothers and fathers. Here's the cool part:
The dude and his parents were French, and the gal and her parents, obviously, were Korean. The couple communicated to eachother not through French or Korean, but through Japanese!
So, the dude's parents would say something to him in French, he says it in Japanese to his girlfriend who then translates it into Korean for her parents. GAH! I wonder how much gets lost in translation, eh?
Friday, May 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
haha... I know about a married couple, he is Australian, she is Russian and their common language for many years was French.
It can work... but lordy it would be hard!
Lucky for their kids though... they would grow up with three languages.
Post a Comment