Monday, September 05, 2005

nabi should be interesting

For those of you who keep up on current events here in the far east, we have a little something called Typhoon Nabi headed our way. (Nabi actually means butterfly in Korean) Two days ago, ye old meterologists were comparing the strength of Nabi to that of Katrina. Oh yeah, typhoons are the same as hurricanes...just a different name. Thankfully, in the past few days it has dropped from a level 5 storm to a level three, although experts still feel it necessary to call it a "super typhoon". At any rate, this puppy's gonna hit Korea (after it comes up through Japan) either tomorrow (tues) or the next day. From what I've read, its path is sort of north east of Pusan, so it sounds like my area is going to get the outside of it and not hit directly. Also, thankfully, it's supposed to lose some power by the time it gets here as well. Pretty much I'm expecting a coupla really windy rainy days ahead. Tonight, after work, I'm going to buy a better umbrella because a small breeze will turn the one I do have inside out. Don't worry, I'll keep y'all updated on my first typhoon! (ps, mom, don't worry!)

As for school, today was my first day of real teaching. Wow, what a fun class! We did greetings and then a fun game. The game didn't take as long as I had hoped...these girls, once put in a competition, are FIERCE. you would laugh if you could see how quietly they sit and listen (most of the time) and then how loud they are once pitted against eachother!! At any rate, I feel that my first English lesson is more or less a success. By the end of the week, I hope to have students saying a range of greetings to me, rather than just "hi" all the time. One of their favourites in class was "yo!" and "what's up!"

This past weekend, I met the other foreigner in Boseong. Her name is Betty and she's quite lovely. We went for a hike on Sunday and then we had lunch. Later that evening she invited me over to watch Ladder 49. It was then that she found out that I am a crier at movies. She was bound to find out at some point!

No comments: