So, I've noticed that most Koreans (warning!! generalization ahead!) are very concerned about their looks. I'm not saying this is bad, just different. For example, where people in North America steal glances at themselves in mirrors or super-shiny surfaces, koreans purposefully put mirrors everywhere so they can check themselves out. There is a mirror in every classroom in the school as well as in the hallways. I even had a teacher give me a little pocket mirror today so I could primp during prep. I chose not to though...mostly because it's scary. I'm quite aware that I'm a sweaty beast - I don't need to confirm it with a mirror!
Other fun things that happened today:
I met the new principal. One of the first things he said to my co-teacher was (in Korean): She needs to lose weight. Ouch. But, it was expected...they are all so TINY! ***CLARIFICATION*** All the teachers that came here were warned that Koreans will point out ony physical "flaws" out of curiosity. Also, I was told that Weight is equated with heath, so the principal was telling me to be more HEALTHY...At any rate, I was in no way offended!
I was also called beautiful more times than I can count, both by my students (grade 1's are so cute - that's grade 7 to us westerners), and by other teachers at the welcome dinner for the new principal. Naturally, these teachers first put on their "soju-goggles" before telling me! (Soju-goggles, as you may have guessed, are very similar to beer-goggles)
Friday, September 02, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Koreans must be really smart if their 6 year olds are in grade 7. Wow! Talk about advanced.
Post a Comment